Bethany House Seeks Its Next Executive Director
Throughout its 39 years, Bethany House has provided safe, supportive emergency housing for homeless women and their dependent children with comprehensive services and resources. Of the homeless women and children who have stayed at Bethany House for longer than two weeks, 94% have found safe and adequate permanent housing and have successfully stabilized their lives after their homeless crisis.
Bethany House’s philosophy is grounded in the belief that each person deserves and needs adequate food, clothing and shelter, provided in a nurturing and supportive environment. The work is based on core values of compassion, hospitality and empowerment.
With welcoming, comfortable and safe environments, Bethany House presently has three emergency residences for homeless women and children, an apartment building with four long-term transitional units for families, and a residence offering permanent supportive housing for older single women.
To learn more about Bethany House, visit the website: https://www.bhny.org/
Upon the retirement of its current executive, Bethany House seeks an Executive Director who will continue and expand the vision of the founders and leadership to transform the lives of homeless, abused and vulnerable women and their children, and to carry on its work in breaking the cycle of homelessness.
Bethany House seeks an inspiring, forward thinking, and growth-oriented leader who will set the strategic vision, oversee and direct development efforts, and spearhead program enhancement and development across the spectrum of services that Bethany House provides. The Executive Director must show a commitment to the mission of Bethany House and embrace and promote its core values.
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director will have overall strategic and operational responsibility for Bethany House’s staff, programs, operations, and execution of mission. The ED will serve as the chief spokesperson, advocate and representative of Bethany House.
With an organizational culture of collegiality and consensus building, the executive will work with a team of 16 full-time and 8 part-time staff, along with volunteers and interns, all passionate and committed individuals who care deeply about the organization’s mission.
• Master’s Degree in Social Work or Business Administration or equivalent.
• Knowledge of and/or experience in working with homeless women and children, ideally on Long Island.
• Knowledge of Spanish is a plus, though not a requirement.
• Experience in working with a Board of Directors.
• Effective and proven communication skills.
• At least five years of significant leadership/management experience.
We seek an inspiring, forward thinking, and growth-oriented leader who will set the strategic vision, oversee and direct all development efforts, and spearhead program enhancement and development across our wide spectrum of services that are rooted in Bethany’s core values.
Bethany House offers a competitive salary and an excellent benefits package.
• The Center for Nonprofit Leadership at Adelphi University’s School of Social Work is conducting the Executive Search for Bethany House’s Executive Director.
• Interviews will be conducted beginning in December and continue through January 2018.
• The start date for the new Executive Director is March 1, 2018.
• The Center will not contact references without prior approval. All applications will be held in confidence.
Bethany House is an EOE/Affirmative action employer.