Each month the Office of New Evangelization provides a guide with a theme. The format highlights five particular âmomentsâ of evangelization. They are:
In much of the magisterial teaching since the 1970âs, these elements have been noted as the critical ones in terms of the Churchâs evangelizing activity. Each âmomentâ will be accompanied by a different citation each month and points for reflection.
Benedict XVI has summarized the goals of the New Evangelization this way: âKnowledge of the content of the faith alone is never a substitute for the experience of a personal encounter with the Lord.â (9/8/05 to a group of Mexican bishops on their âad liminaâ visit.)
Some suggestions for use of this guide include:
- Reproduce it in the parish bulletin;
- Offer it to parish group / committees to use at beginning of their meetings to foster reflection on the meaning of their faith and how they see their group / committee as an evangelizing agent of the parish;
- Suggest families use it as a guide for their own formation;
- DREs could use it for formation of catechists, and catechists could use it for formation of those in their care;
- Could be integrated into Baptism Prep and Pre Cana programs;
- Could be emailed to college students for parishes that encourage such students to stay in touch via email;
- Could be placed on the parish website;
- Occasionally could be sent to those on parish âinactiveâ list;
- Could be given as part of packet from parish to those newly registered;
- Could be used in home visitation programs through the parishâs evangelization outreach (e.g. Legion of Mary).
ForÂ pastÂ issues: contactÂ Rosann Kelly, (516) 678-5800 ext. 516.
New Evangelization Website Resources