Diocese of Rockville Centre

The list below is taken from Richly Blessed, a history of the Diocese of Rockville Centre, by Sr. Joan de Lourdes, C.S.J., in 1991. For information about the sources of this information, please consult the aforementioned work.

  • 1856—St. Patrick, Glen Cove. At first, Brooklyn pioneer priests, Revs. Edward Maginnis and John McCarthy who traveled from Jamaica, offered Mass here. An influx of Irish Catholics fled from the Famine to work here in a starch factory. This led to formation of a parish in 1856. Rev. Patrick Kelly was the first resident pastor. A new church was dedicated in 1900. In 1915 a parish school opened with the School Sisters of Notre Dame in charge.

  • 1858—St. Boniface, Elmont, was established in response to needs of German settlers by Rev. Peter Hartlaub. Rev. Joseph Hauber, who had been born in Austria, was appointed in 1868. He constructed a church and school. German-speaking Dominican Sisters of Amityville answered the call of Rev. Hauber in 1886 to open a school for German-speaking children. With the suburban boom, after the 1940s, the school became Americanized as did the parish.

  • 1859—St. Andrew, Sag Harbor. A London-born mechanic, Michael Burke, held Sunday services in his home and in 1838, bought an old Methodist Church for $1,052.50. Rev. Joseph Brunemann, OSF, of St. Boniface Parish, Brooklyn, became the first pastor in 1859. In 1860, the Religious of the Sacred Heart of Mary were invited to staff a school, which became the oldest Catholic school on Long Island.

  • 1860—St. Patrick, Huntington. >From 1840 to 1860 visiting clergy ministered to Catholics who gathered for worship at Cold Spring Harbor. Rev. Jeremiah J. Crowley, named pastor in 1860, moved the location to Huntington Village in 1867. St. Patrick Church was dedicated two years later. St. Patrick’s Cemetery is now located at the former site. Dominican Sisters of Amityville opened the School in 1922. A Parish Council was established in 1967.

  • 1865—St. Patrick, Southold, has an uncertain date of origin as Rev. Joseph Brunemann, OSF, tended to shift his residence from Sag Harbor to Southold and then back again. He purchased the Southold Institute in 1863. It was dedicated as St. Patrick’s Church in 1869.

  • 1869—St. John the Evangelist, Riverhead. The first Mass was celebrated in the home of James Magee in Aquebogue, about three miles east of Riverhead on June 14, 1844. The first resident pastor was Rev. John A. Casella who in his first year, 1869-70, erected a church and laid out a cemetery. St. John the Evangelist’s elementary school is staffed by Dominican Sisters of Amityville.

  • 1871—Our Lady of Loretto, Hempstead. There were few Catholics in this town prior to 1850, after which Irish and German immigrants began to settle in large numbers. The first Mass, celebrated in the home of Barney Powers in 1840 by Rev. John O’Donnell, was attended by only 7 persons. Bishop Loughlin sent Rev. Eugene McSherry to be pastor in 1871. A Catholic school opened under the Sisters of Charity BVM in 1927. The present church and rectory were dedicated in 1954.

  • 1871—St. Mary, Roslyn, was a mission church of St. Patrick Parish, Glen Cove, before the appointment of Rev. William O’Donnell as pastor. Born in Ireland and ordained in 1868 at All Hallows Seminary there, Father O’Donnell served briefly at St. Mary parish until his death on November 11, 1872. The Brooklyn Sisters of Mercy opened the Parochial school in 1952.

  • 1872—St. Ignatius Loyola, Hicksville. The origins of this parish are not exactly known. A mission in south central Oyster Bay Township, cared for by Father Maginnis then of Jamaica, may have been transferred to Hicksville. Rev. John McCarthy lived there from 1854 to 1855. In 1872, Rev. Lawrence Fuchs became the first resident pastor and remained until 1923. The parish school, staffed by Amityville Dominican Sisters, opened in 1907.

  • 1872—St. Joseph, Hewlett, founded by Rev. Arthur J. Dorris, had a small wooden church by 1872. Rev. John F. Farrell replaced this church in 1931. Unable to secure the services of a religious community in the 1950s, Msgr. Ronald B. MacDonald hired Mary Hayes who recruited a lay faculty. In August 1961, the Sisters of St. Joseph began to staff the school.

  • 1876—St. Aloysius, Great Neck. Rev. Patrick Sheridan, the first pastor, offered Mass in the home of Captain Fallon, probably in February 1876. The following May, the first church was completed. In 1915, that church was replaced by a very large church for the times, under the direction of Rev. John Malloy. The elementary school, now closed, was built in 1928 and staffed by the Sisters of Mercy, Dallas, Pa.

  • 1877—St. Joseph, Babylon, was officially established with the 1877 appointment of Rev. Joseph J. Coughlin as pastor. Since 1848, Catholics here had been attended by priests from far-flung areas, such as Lindenhurst. In 1927 the Sisters of Mercy of Dallas opened the parochial school in which the Franciscan Brothers also taught. The school closed in 1991. Our Lady of Grace Parish in West Babylon was formed from St. Joseph’s Parish in 1962.

  • 1879—St. Francis de Sales, Patchogue, dates from 1856 as a mission. The church was constructed thirty years later on July 22, 1888. It was then located on Conklin Ave. and East Main St. outside the village. The church was harassed by the Ku Klux Klan, so in 1907 the pastor decided to move it a mile to its site at Amity St. and Ocean Ave. The movers used horses and greased skids. At one time, it served Catholics of Bellport, Blue Point, Medford, Yaphank, and Brookhaven. Rev. Michael J. Dowd was first resident pastor. In 1897, Msgr. James J. Cronin began a tenure of 50 years as pastor. A school, under Religious of the Holy Union of the Sacred Hearts, was dedicated in 1960.

  • 1883—St. Patrick, Bay Shore. Rev. Michael O’Neill, who made rounds of the Island on horseback, added this community of about 200 Catholics to his itinerary in 1858. After using Owen Drum’s home as the site of Mass, Rev. Jeremiah J. Crowley, of St. Patrick’s, Huntington, had a church dedicated in 1863. It remained a mission until 1883 when Rev. James Bobier was appointed first resident pastor. The school is staffed by the Sisters of Mercy, Brooklyn.

  • 1886—St. Agnes, Greenport, was served by several priests from Brooklyn, Jamaica, Hicksville, and Sag Harbor from 1849 on. Soon after 1855 a church was built and dedicated by Rev. John McCarthy. A resident pastor, Rev. Mortimer C. Brennan, came in 1886.

  • 1892—St. Brigid, Westbury, was dedicated by Bishop John Loughlin in 1856 as the first church in Nassau County. An Irish parish, it was served by many Brooklyn priests before Rev. Michael Murray became resident pastor in 1892. A school, staffed by the School Sisters of Notre Dame, was opened in 1918.

  • 1892—St. Joseph, Kings Park, developed in relation to the Hospital established in 1885 by Kings County Hospital of Brooklyn. The first Mass was celebrated a year later in the hospital’s sun parlor. Rev. Thomas J. McCaffrey, appointed resident pastor in 1892, constructed a church for parishioners, many of whom were employed at the hospital. He also built a rectory. The Sisters of St. Dominic of Amityville conducted the parochial school from 1931 to 1971.

  • 1893—St. Philip Neri, Northport, attended from St. Patrick Parish, Huntington, since 1868, received Rev. Patrick J. Tuigg as first resident pastor in 1893. Located between Jericho Turnpike and Long Island Sound, the parish encompassed forty-nine square miles and served the neighboring areas of Greenlawn, East Northport, and Centerport. Opened in 1926, the school is staffed by Sisters of St. Joseph. A new church was dedicated on June 28, 1970.

  • 1894—Our Lady of Perpetual Help, Lindenhurst, was served by priests from neighboring parishes who offered Mass at Anton Langsdorf’s home. Rev. John Koeberle, first resident pastor, celebrated and preached in English at Sunday morning Masses and in German at evening Vespers. This area, known as Breslau City until 1894 attracted many German settlers. In 1913, the Dominican Sisters of Amityville assumed administration of the parochial school. The present church was dedicated on November 19, 1961.

  • 1894—St. Agnes, Rockville Centre. The cathedral had its beginnings in the blacksmith’s shop of Walter Johnson on Centre Avenue where the first Mass was celebrated by Rev. Edward J. Connell of Rockaway Beach in 1887. An old frame schoolhouse was converted into a church and the first resident pastor, Rev. Thomas E. Carroll built a rectory in 1895. The white marble church which preceded the present structure, was completed in 1905. That year, on December 19, Rev. Peter Quealy became pastor and during his long pastorate, this “master builder” built a school (1917), a high school (1924), convent, rectory and a new church, the present structure, dedicated in 1935. The high school has closed. Msgr. Quealy bought 100 acres in Nassau County which has become the property of Holy Rood Cemetery in Westbury, and Mercy Hospital and Molloy College in Rockville Centre. Rev. Francis J. Williams succeeded him as Administrator in 1956. Msgr. Quealy lived to see St. Agnes become the seat of the new diocese of Rockville Centre in 1957. He died on January 20, 1959. The cathedral was renovated under Bishop John R. McGann, who had succeeded Bishop Kellenberg in 1976, and rededicated in 1982.

  • 1894—St. Joachim, Cedarhurst originated to meet the needs of the Catholic servants of this summer colony. The first church was built by working people and Rev. Patrick J. McKenna offered the first Mass on May 27, 1894. In 1914, the Sisters of St. Joseph assumed responsibility for the parochial school.

  • 1895—St. Anne, Brentwood, began with the celebration of Mass on July 3 in what was then the Quanahasset Hotel. Before the first pastor, Rev. Henry F. Murray left in 1897, St. Anne’s church, with a capacity of 250 had been built. The growth of the parish to 20,000 Catholics necessitated the building of a larger church where Mass was celebrated on Christmas Eve, 1969, for the first time. An elementary school has been staffed by the Sisters of St. Joseph since 1923.

  • 1895—St. Dominic, Oyster Bay, was a mission church of St. Patrick’s parish, Glen Cove. Rev. James McEnroe said Mass as often as possible in the Brody home. Around 1868, each Catholic family pledged a month’s salary toward building a church. As the railroad brought new people to Oyster Bay in the 1890s, a new church was built to replace the one constructed in 1870. Rev. John L. Belford was appointed the first resident pastor. Rev. Charles J. Canivan opened a school in September 1924 with Immaculate Heart of Mary Sisters. In 1928, a high school was constructed. A contemporary-style church was added to the old stone Church in 1970.

  • 1895—St. Lawrence the Martyr, Sayville, came into existence when Rev. Thomas S. Duhigg was appointed resident pastor in 1895. A church was completed in October 1896, and since 1901, St. Lawrence has had its own cemetery. It was the first parish in the diocese to have the Holy Name Society. The School Sisters of Notre Dame staff the school which opened in 1924. In the late 1960s a new church replaced the original church.

  • 1896—Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary, Southampton, was founded by Rev. William S. Kirby. Irish Catholic immigrants who came in the 1840s were served by priests from St. Andrews’s in Sag Harbor in its years as a mission Church. The present “rock-faced marble edifice” was dedicated in 1908 and a school, staffed by Sisters of Charity of New York, was opened in 1924.

  • 1896—St. Kilian, Farmingdale, began under the care of the Benedictine Fathers. The first pastor, Rev. Gerard Spielmann, OSB, offered Mass in the Lutheran Church until a church was dedicated on July 4, 1898. Dominican Sisters of Amityville were asked to staff the new school. Diocesan clergy have cared for the parish since 1974.

  • 1897—Holy Spirit, New Hyde Park, was a mission of St. Brigid, Westbury, until 1897 when Rev. Henry F. Murray became the first pastor. A small wooden church had been blessed on August 15, 1894. In 1953, a new school replaced the wooden one of 1910, and in 1959, some classrooms and a large auditorium were added. The parish converted the auditorium into a new church which was dedicated in 1970. The Dominican Sisters of Amityville, who staffed an orphanage opposite the school, taught in the school.

  • 1898—St. Boniface Martyr, Sea Cliff, was attended from St. Patrick’s Parish, Glen Cove, before its foundation in 1898. Rev. James J. Donohue was the first resident pastor. The Sisters of Mercy, Dallas, opened the parochial school in 1928. The old convent has become the parish center for programs such as religious education.

  • 1898—St. Martin of Tours, Amityville, was a mission of St. Kilian’s in Farmingdale until established as a parish in 1898. On Christmas Day, Rev. Benno Ferstl, OSB, the founding pastor, offered Mass in a small building. Men of the parish actively participated in the building of the first church which was completed and dedicated in 1899; a new church was dedicated May 24, 1964. The school, built in 1921 was staffed by Dominican Sisters from Amityville.

  • 1898—St. Mary, East Islip. St. Mary’s history goes back to 1840. It was attended by priests from Brooklyn. In 1883 St. Mary’s became a mission of St. Patrick Parish, Bay Shore. The first resident pastor, Rev. Edward A. Duffy, was assigned in 1898. By 1902 a church was built and a rectory provided. In 1914 St. Mary’s first school was opened with three School Sisters of Notre Dame teaching 160 pupils. A new school was built in 1954 to provide for an ever-increasing enrollment.

  • 1901—Corpus Christi, Mineola, a mission of St. Brigid, Westbury, was canonically erected with Rev. James F. Flynn as the first pastor. A small chapel, built with funds collected by 23 Catholic families in 1895, was replaced by a church in 1908 which served the parish well until 1971 when the present church was dedicated. The school, staffed by the Sisters of St. Dominic of Amityville, began in an estate residence in 1922. The cornerstone for a regular school building was laid in 1954.

  • 1901—Sacred Heart, Cutchogue, was a mission at one time of St. Patrick, Southold; at other times of St. Andrew, Sag Harbor. In 1873, Rev. John McKenna bought property which eventually became the site of the church and rectory. A rather large church was built in 1878. Only on October 3, 1901, was Sacred Heart set up as a distinct parish with Rev. James H. Lynch as the first pastor. In 1950, a school, staffed by Mercy Sisters of North Carolina, opened. In 1976 the Sisters of St. Joseph assumed charge of the school.

  • 1901—St. Peter of Alcantara, Port Washington, a former mission of St. Mary Parish, Roslyn, was founded in 1901 with Rev. Patrick J. Cherry as resident pastor. Generous donors, including William Bourke Cockran, the Congressman and orator, made construction of the first church possible. November 20, 1903, Bishop McDonnell dedicated the church. The parochial school, staffed by Immaculate Heart of Mary Sisters, opened in 1925.

  • 1902—Holy Name of Mary, Valley Stream, enjoyed the ministry of its founding pastor, Rev. Peter P. McGovern, from March 18, 1902, until his death on September 18, 1952. After the first Mass, offered in the firehouse on Corona Avenue, Father McGovern developed parish facilities, such as a church, school, convent and rectory. The Sisters of St. Joseph assumed responsibility for the parochial school in 1939.

  • 1902—St. Hedwig, Floral Park, was established to serve the sacramental, catechetical and social needs of the Polish population in this area of Nassau County. Rev. Adolph L. Swierzynski, the founding pastor, celebrated the first Mass there on September 28, 1902. The Felician Sisters conduct the parochial school. To serve parish needs, a new hall was constructed in 1967.

  • 1903—Infant Jesus, Port Jefferson, was served by the Montfort Fathers whom Bishop Charles McDonnell appointed to start a parish. The first pastor, Rev. Rene M. LeCair, M.M., purchased property and invited the Daughters of Wisdom to run a school in the cottage on the property. Until the completion of a Gothic church in 1912, Mass was celebrated in the rectory and local stores. Diocesan clergy now staff this parish.

  • 1903—Our Holy Redeemer, Freeport. The first Mass in Freeport was offered in the home of William Dougherty on Christmas Day, 1895, by Rev. Thomas E. Carroll, pastor of St. Agnes, Rockville Centre. Later as a mission of Our Lady of Loretto of Hempstead, a small wooden church was erected with a rear shed to accommodate the horses and buggies. In 1903 Rev. Charles A. Logue was appointed pastor and he built the red brick Romanesque church, dedicated June 11, 1911, which has served all these years. Rev. John L. O’Toole (1913-1935) built a school for the parish despite the difficult times Catholics were experiencing in the mid 1920s because of Ku Klux Klan activities. In 1925, the Dominican Sisters of Amityville assumed charge of the school.

  • 1903—St. Isidore, Riverhead, was founded to take care of people of Polish descent. As early as the 1870s, Polish peasants settled on the agricultural east end of the Island. The St. Isidore Society purchased property in 1903 and under Rev. Louis P. Muszynski, the first pastor, a church was dedicated in 1907. In 1962, a new school was built and the Sisters of the Holy Family of Nazareth, began teaching there. Prior to being ordained an Auxiliary Bishop of the Rockville Centre Diocese, the Most Reverend Alfred J. Markiewicz served as pastor of St. Isidore’s.

  • 1903—St. John Evangelist, Center Moriches, was a mission church as early as 1888 and the church building dates from 1898. The first resident pastor was Rev. Louis J. Sloane. Rev. John J. Donlan purchased (through a layman who did the bidding) the Center Moriches public school for $10,000 in 1926. A modern building replaced it in 1968. It was staffed by the Sisters of Charity of New York.

  • 1904—St. John of God, Central Islip, was a mission of St. Anne’s Parish, Brentwood, until Rev. Nicholas W. Keating was appointed the first pastor on November 9, 1904. The parish served the many Irish people who were employed at the Central Islip State Hospital. Until 1953 the priests were chaplains at the hospital. The parochial school opened in 1924 under the Sisters of Mercy of Dallas, whom the Sisters of St. Joseph replaced in 1955. Today, the parish meets the needs of a large number of Spanish-speaking parishioners.

  • 1904—St. Rosalie, Hampton Bays, had been attended during the summer by priests from St. Joseph’s Parish, Pacific Street, Brooklyn. Rev. Joseph A. O’Brien served as first resident pastor from 1904 to 1914 in the area known as “Good Ground”. Both year-round residents and summer visitors form the worshiping community in this south shore parish.

  • 1905—St. Joseph, Garden City, was attended by Our Lady of Loretto, Hempstead, from 1898 to 1901 and Corpus Christi, Mineola, from 1901 to 1905. On May 14, 1905 Rev. James F. Flynn, pastor at Corpus Christi, took up residence in Garden City and established St. Joseph Parish. In 1939, the School Sisters of Notre Dame opened the parochial school.

  • 1907—Mary Immaculate, Bellport, was founded to meet the spiritual needs of the “immigrant servants of the rich summer crowd.” Mass was first celebrated in the private home of converts, and Mrs. Frank Otis, in 1880. On property, donated by two cooks, Catherine Ferguson and Catherine Howard, a church was built in 1905. Rev. John J. Robinson was assigned as the first pastor in 1907. A new church was dedicated in 1955.

  • 1907—Most Holy Trinity, East Hampton, was a mission of St. Andrew’s Parish, Sag Harbor, from 1869 to 1907. When Rev. Louis M. Blaber was appointed the first resident pastor in July 1907, sixty families were year-round residents. A church had been dedicated to St. Philomena in 1894. In 1962, the parish was renamed Most Holy Trinity. The Sisters of St. Joseph staff the parochial school which opened in 1956.

  • 1907—SS Philip and James, St. James, had been served by St. Joseph Parish, Kings Park, for four years before the arrival of Rev. William J. Duhigg as founding pastor in 1907. Catholic worship in the area, however, may be traced to 1830s when priests celebrated in private homes. Dedication of the first church on September 5, 1909, was followed over the years by the construction of new and larger facilities. The school, opened in 1922, was staffed by three religious congregations until 1970. Since then, the school has had a lay administrator and staff.

  • 1909—St. Hyacinth, Glen Head. Established to serve the Polish population, it formerly was included among the three churches of Glen Cove but now is part of Glen Head. St. Hyacinth was established in 1909 with Rev. Charles Sarnecko as pastor. The small church, built not long after the foundation of the parish, was refurbished in 1949. The Sisters of the Holy Family of Nazareth minister in the parish. A school, new auditorium, and convent were dedicated October 29, 1966. A new church was dedicated April 27, 1986.

  • 1909—St. Raymond, East Rockaway, began when Rev. Denis R. Carroll, resident pastor, offered Mass in the Lynbrook Lyceum on July 30, 1909. After using a firehouse and a garage for Sunday liturgy, the parish constructed a small wooden church. This was replaced in 1957 by a new church and rectory. Sisters of the Immaculate Heart of Mary staffed the parochial school in 1927.

  • 1910—Our Lady of Good Counsel, Inwood, was formerly a mission of St. Mary Star of the Sea, Far Rockaway, and St. Mary, Gate of Heaven, Ozone Park. Rev. John J. Mahon was named pastor in 1910. The Immaculate Heart of Mary Sisters opened the parochial school in 1941. Parish programs provide religious education, since the school has closed.

  • 1910—St. Joseph, Ronkonkoma, was served by priests from surrounding parishes from 1884 until Rev. Patrick F. Kelly was appointed pastor in 1910. A small wooden church was replaced by a larger church in 1931. The school, which opened in 1950, was staffed by the School Sisters of Notre Dame. Another church was completed in 1988.

  • 1911—Our Lady of the Isle, Shelter Island Heights, was a summer colony and part of the parish of St. Agnes, Greenport, from 1886 on. A church was blessed in 1907 but since there was no resident priest until the Passionists took over in 1911 (Rev. Edwin Coyle, C.P., was the first pastor), the people “often braved the icy winds, blinding snow and drifting ice” to get to the mainland for Sunday Mass. In 1925, the parish was placed under diocesan clergy.

  • 1912—Our Lady of Ostrabrama, Cutchogue, was originally located in Peconic. Priests from St. Isidore Parish, Riverhead, served the Polish population of the area from 1909 to 1912. With the relocation of the parish, Rev. Stephen Bartkowski was appointed pastor in 1912. A small chapel built in 1909 was destroyed by fire in 1919 and a new church was dedicated in 1920.

  • 1912—St. Barnabas the Apostle, Bellmore, was established as a parish with the appointment of Rev. Theodore King in 1912. Not only did Father King have difficulty raising money for a church, he also had to contend with the opposition of the Ku Klux Klan. A church, however, was completed by December 7, 1913. Rev. John D. Wynne built a school in 1932 and, later, a convent for the Sisters of Charity of Halifax. The current church was built in 1959.

  • 1912—St. Mary, Manhasset. In 1853, Rev. John McMahon, pastor of St. Michael’s parish, Flushing, petitioned Archbishop John Hughes of New York to build a mission church at Manhasset to preserve the faith of the few Irish and German farmers in the area. On October 4, 1857, the first St. Mary Church was dedicated. The parish came into canonical existence with the appointment of Rev. William K. Dwyer in 1912. A parish school, conducted by the Sisters of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, was opened in 1925 by Rev. Ambrose Dunnigan. In 1947 a high school for girls was added and in 1950, the Marist Brothers arrived to teach high school boys.

  • 1913—Immaculate Conception, Westhampton Beach, was served by visiting priests from New York City from 1891-1911. The parish was established under Rev. John J. Patterson. Rev. Joseph S. Slomski who succeeded him remained for forty-five years. Summer residents triple the Catholic population. In May 1969, Bishop Walter Kellenberg blessed the Confraternity Center which offers annual and summer catechetical programs.

  • 1913—St. Catherine of Sienna, Franklin Square, originated among German parishioners, who, tired of traveling to Elmont for Mass, petitioned the Bishop for a church. It became a mission of Our Lady of Loretto, Hempstead, in 1908. A chapel was constructed on land donated by John Lewis Childs of Floral Park, a non-Catholic. The first pastor was Rev. Tobias E. Farrenkopf who completed the building of a church in 1914. Rev. Conrad Lutz, pastor from 1917 to 1953 was responsible for a magnificent church. Rev. Anthony Holzheimer added a school staffed by Sisters of St. Dominic, Amityville.

  • 1913—St. Hugh of Lincoln, Huntington Station. Huntington Station, originally known as Fair Grounds, was a mission of St. Patrick’s, Huntington. The first Mass was offered in a barn next to a former racetrack. The first church, a chapel seating about 150 persons erected in 1909, was donated by Mrs. Hugh McLaughlin in honor of her husband, a well-known Democratic politician. St. Hugh’s became a canonical parish in June, 1913, with its first pastor, Rev. James M. Burke. The first school, built in 1924, was staffed by the Amityville Dominicans. Both church and school have been replaced by larger structures.

  • 1915—St. Christopher, Baldwin. After being attended by priests from Our Holy Redeemer Parish, Freeport, for three years, the people welcomed Rev. John A. McGoldrick as the first resident pastor, 1915-1926. The old stone church built in 1918 was replaced in 1950. A new convent was also constructed for the Sisters of St. Joseph who have staffed the school since 1925.

  • 1915—St. Ladislaus, Hempstead. St. Catherine of Sienna Church, Uniondale, existed as a mission of Our Lady of Loretto Church, Hempstead, when Rev. Wladislaw L. Manka was assigned in 1915 to establish it as an ethnic parish to serve the Polish community. Father Manka renamed the church St. Martha. In 1917 he built a new church nearby in the more populous Hempstead village, which he named St. Ladislaus. St. Martha, Uniondale, continued as a Polish mission of St. Ladislaus. St. Ladislaus continues to serve its Polish parishioners. Felician Sisters conduct the parish school.

  • 1918—Our Lady of Mt. Carmel, Patchogue, was named SS. Perpetua and Felicity until 1924. Rev. Raphael A. Cioffi, founding pastor, ministered to the people - mostly Italian immigrants - at a garage on Waverly Place. After World War II, an increasing population required a larger church. On June 6, 1968, Bishop Kellenberg dedicated a parish center.

  • 1918—Our Lady of Poland, Southampton, served numerous immigrants from Russian Poland who desired to worship in their native language. On June 28, 1918, Rev. Alexander U. Cizmowski, the founding pastor, offered Mass at Schwenk’s Arcade. The people collected funds and the men assisted with construction of the church where Mass was offered on Christmas, 1918. Sisters of the Holy Family of Nazareth staff the parochial school which opened in 1962.

  • 1918—St. Mary of the Isle, Long Beach, began as a mission to meet the needs of summer Catholics. A small church was dedicated in 1915 and a parish established in 1918 with Rev. Edward P. Hoar as first pastor. The priests were very zealous for the needs of Catholics in surrounding areas. This resulted in mission chapels in Island Park, Point Lookout, and the West End. St. Mary of the Isle is one of three parishes that cooperated in the establishment of the Long Beach Catholic School.

  • 1919—Queen of the Most Holy Rosary, Roosevelt, was founded by Rev. John B. Gorman, pastor from 1919-21, who moved the church which had been Our Holy Redeemer from Freeport on a sled of logs drawn by horses. In 1964 the parish built a new church that seats 1100 people. A parish school, staffed by the Dominican Sisters of Amityville, opened in 1954; its closing in June 1991, was announced in 1990. The parish serves Roosevelt and parts of Baldwin and Freeport.

  • 1919—St. John Nepomucene, Bohemia, grew out of a mission served by priests from Bay Shore, Sayville, and Ronkonkoma. The founding pastor, Rev. Wenceslaus W. Kroupa, enlarged the chapel built in 1885. The parish school is staffed by Brooklyn Sisters of Mercy.

  • 1920—Our Lady of the Snow, Blue Point, was a mission of St. Francis de Sales Parish, Patchogue, from 1913-1919. Year-round Catholic residents found it difficult to attend Sunday Mass. With the summer influx of vacationers, Mass was offered in various places. Finally, with the cooperation of many people, a church was constructed and dedicated on July 24, 1917. In 1920 Rev. Charles Craig arrived as the resident pastor.

  • 1921—Our Lady of Victory, Floral Park, was founded by Rev. Patrick Hart for English-speaking Catholics in Floral Park. The church was dedicated in September 1924. The school opened in 1931 under the Sisters of St. Joseph.

  • 1922—Queen of the Most Holy Rosary, Bridgehampton, was a mission of Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary Parish, Southampton, from 1912 to 1922. Land had been purchased and Bishop Charles McDonnell dedicated the church on July 15, 1915. In early June 1922, Rev. Alexander I. Vorbach was appointed the first resident pastor.

  • 1922—St. John Baptist, Wading River, had been a Mission of SS Peter and Paul Parish, Manorville, since 1912. Rev. John Regulski, its third Pastor, established St. John Baptist as a Parish in 1922. SS Peter and Paul then became its Mission until 1996. See the entry for SS Peter and Paul Parish, 1996.

  • 1923—St. Martin of Tours, Bethpage, was founded by Rev. Daniel A. Dwyer. The Sisters of Mercy of Dallas staff the school which opened in 1955. Today the Redemptorist Fathers serve the parish.

  • 1926—Cure of Ars, Merrick, had humble beginnings in a large, renovated barn used as a church from December 1926 until 1928. Rev. Arthur J. Leonard was the founding pastor. The present church was dedicated in May 1932. In September 1951, a school was opened under the Dominican Sisters of Amityville. In 1953, the parish was divided and Sacred Heart parish was established in North Merrick.

  • 1926—Our Lady of Lourdes, Malverne, became a parish in 1926 with Rev. Benedict Himmelreicher the founding pastor. The first Mass was offered in a tent on Hempstead Avenue on May 23, 1926. Construction of the church began in 1927 and on May 13, 1928, Bishop Molloy blessed the new church. A school was opened September 1953, staffed by Dominican Sisters of Amityville. A disastrous fire in the church in February, 1973 necessitated nineteen months of restoration culminating in a rededication of the church by Bishop John R. McGann on October 23, 1977.

  • 1926—St. Ignatius Martyr, Long Beach, was a summer mission of St. Mary of the Isle as early as 1918, under the direction of Rev. Edward P. Hoar. The parish was established in 1926 with Rev. John A. Cass as the first pastor. The dedication of St. Ignatius Martyr Church occurred on August 7, 1927. This parish is unique in being the location of a tri-parish school staffed by the Sisters of St. Dominic of Amityville.

  • 1927—St. Anthony, Oceanside, had Rev. Robert Barrett as founding pastor. His first building project became known popularly as “the underground shrine.” Because of the uniqueness of its shrines and adornments, the parish attracted many pilgrimages. Fire destroyed the chapel, however, on March 25, 1960. The shrine dedicated to the Miraculous Medal was completely renovated and refurbished. Mass was celebrated there on Christmas Day, 1969. St. Anthony’s school was dedicated in 1961. In 1978, the Jesuits assumed responsibility for the parish.

  • 1928—St. Aidan, Williston Park, founded by Rev. John F. O’Kane in 1928, experienced great growth in the late 1940s, 1950s, and 1960s. The original church building became a gym for the youth of the parish when it was replaced. The Sisters of Charity of Halifax staff the parochial school.

  • 1928—St. William the Abbot, Seaford. A butcher shop was the site of the first Mass in Seaford in 1913. Rev. Theodore J. King of Bellmore accepted the offer of the butcher’s Catholic daughter to use it. Father Galvin of Bellmore was authorized by the bishop to build a church where the first Mass was celebrated on Christmas Day, 1926. In 1928, St. William became a parish with Rev. Francis X. Debold as pastor. The Ursuline Sisters of Tildonk opened the school in September 1954.

  • 1929—Our Lady of the Assumption, Copiague. The names of the streets of this parish clearly identify the Italian background of the early parishioners. Originally a mission of St. Martin, Amityville, Our Lady of the Assumption had four administrators from 1928-1933. During this time a foundation of a church was built and covered with a roof to serve as a church where the first Mass was offered April 1, 1928. The first resident pastor was Rev. Enrico Parascandola who served from 1933-1934. The years between 1940-1950 were active with building - a church, an auditorium, a rectory - much of which was accomplished with the leadership of Rev. Francis Del Vecchio and the work of men of the parish.

  • 1929—St. Anne, Garden City, was founded by Rev. Leo T. Ennis in 1929. The church, built in 1930, serves a number of communities in Garden City, Stewart Manor, Franklin Square, New Hyde Park, and Floral Park. A school was opened in 1951, staffed by Religious of the Sacred Heart of Mary.

  • 1931—St. Thomas the Apostle, West Hempstead, became a parish in 1931 with the first resident pastor, Rev. Joseph A. Smith. The first Mass was offered in a store on Hempstead Turnpike. By 1934, the first small church was ready for liturgical services. The original church went through a process of enlargement and renovation, becoming the present beautiful church blessed in 1967. The congregation of Sisters of Charity of the Blessed Virgin Mary staffed the parochial school.

  • 1936—Our Lady of the Miraculous Medal, Wyandanch, was a mission of St. Kilian Parish, Farmingdale, until Rev. Stephen A. Cuddeback arrived as administrator. After construction of a community hall, the church was completed on June 28, 1936. Father Cuddeback celebrated Mass for the people of Deer Park also until SS Cyril and Methodius Parish was established. The Sisters of St. Joseph have ministered at Our Lady of the Miraculous Medal Parish since 1970. Dedicated to a former curate who served here from 1950 to 1958, the Bishop Ryan Parish Outreach Center responds to human needs with generosity and compassion.

  • 1937—Our Lady of the Miraculous Medal, Point Lookout, long a mission of St. Mary of the Isle, Long Beach, dates from July 25, 1937. The newly appointed pastor, Rev. Joseph P. Butler, celebrated Mass in the firehouse until the prefab church was ready. It proved its strength by surviving the hurricane of 1939. A parish hall, finished in 1947 has been used for many events, especially programs for youth.

  • 1937—St. Rocco, Glen Cove, was composed largely of Italian immigrants who settled in Glen Cove from 1910 on. Bishop Molloy answered their request for an Italian national parish in 1937. Many of the parishioners gave their manual labor to the building of the church by the first pastor, Rev. Eliodore Capobianco. The Capuchin Sisters serve the parish.

  • 1938—Sacred Heart, Island Park, was established as a parish on September 27, 1938. For the previous eleven years, priests from St. Mary of the Isle, Long Beach, had celebrated Mass for Catholics of this seaside area. Rev. Thomas J. Sheehy, first resident pastor, 1938-1944, constructed parish facilities to meet the needs. The new parish center in 1973 as a replacement for the old church hall was described as “Bringing Them All Together.”

  • 1940—Our Lady of Peace, Lynbrook. Rev. James J. Ayres was appointed to start a parish and offered the first Mass on September 21. Sunday Mass was offered in Knights of Columbus Hall until a church was constructed and dedicated in July 1943. A school was opened in 1957 under the Sisters of Mercy of Brooklyn.

  • 1941—Notre Dame, New Hyde Park, was established by Rev. George G. Morrow, Ph.D. The first church was a frame building moved from Our Lady of Mercy, Forest Hills, and it remained in use until a new church was completed in 1959. The Dominican Sisters of Amityville staff the school. Notre Dame was the only parish to have its own credit union which was established in July 1956.

  • 1941—St. Raphael, East Meadow, celebrated the first Mass on November 15, 1941. Rev. Charles L. Sullivan was the first pastor. In 1942 he purchased the Williston Park Reformed Church and had it moved to the parish. After construction of a new church, this building served as meeting hall and rectory. In 1962 the School Sisters of Notre Dame opened the parochial school.

  • 1948—Our Lady of Fatima, Port Washington, a former mission of St. Peter of Alcantara Parish, was established in 1948 with Rev. Joseph A. McGoldrick as pastor. Earlier, Mass had been celebrated in a real estate office. Parish facilities include the church, rectory, parish center and a small residence for the Dominican Sisters of Amityville.

  • 1948—St. Anthony of Padua, Rocky Point, owes its development to the hard work of its founding pastor, Rev. Vincent Margiotta who began the parish with few resources. During his pastorate from 1948-56, the parish built a rectory, convent, a church-auditorium and fostered a “parish family” spirit. The Franciscan Sisters of the Atonement of Graymoor came in 1959.

  • 1948—St. Bernard, Levittown, founded by Rev. Thomas J. O’Brien to meet the needs of a new post-World War II village which grew up in this area. There were so many war babies that a “crying room” was installed. The Sisters of St. Joseph staff the school, built in 1961. A new church was dedicated June 30, 1985.

  • 1948—St. Margaret of Scotland, Selden, originally located in Middle Island, was relocated in Selden. From 1938 to 1948 priests from St. Joseph Parish, Ronkonkoma, celebrated Mass for local Catholics at the private chapel of a Scot who had settled in East Selden. On the establishment of the parish on June 10, 1948 Rev. Andrew F. Klarman, founding pastor, decided to retain the name of that chapel. The 300 families crowded into the small church for the first Mass on Palm Sunday 1949. In 1965 an all-purpose building was erected at a new site on College Road south of Jericho Turnpike.

  • 1948—St. Sylvester, Medford. Since 1910 St. Sylvester was a Mission of these Parishes: St. Joseph, Ronkonkoma, 1910-1922, and Our Lady of Mount Carmel, Patchogue, 1927-1948. Rev. Patrick F. Kelly, pastor of St. Joseph Parish, 1910-1915, offered Mass for the Catholics of Medford in a building on James Flynn’s property. He also assisted them in raising funds for a church dedicated on June 1, 1913. Rev. Raymond J. Harrickey, appointed Administrator of the Parish in 1948, died on January 24, 1949. Rev. Rudolph W. Kraus was then named pastor. He directed the construction of the present church in which the first Mass was offered on Christmas Eve in 1953.

  • 1949—St. James, Setauket. A rich French Catholic family built a small church on Main Street in Setauket around 1887-1888. Montfort Fathers from Brooklyn and priests from St. Joseph, Kings Park and from neighboring parishes served the Catholics in the area. On June 29, 1949 Setauket became an independent parish with Rev. Stephen J. McGrail as first pastor. A new church-auditorium was dedicated April 29, 1967.

  • 1949—St. Jude, Mastic Beach, had been attended by St. John Evangelist Parish, Center Moriches, since 1937. Rev. John P. Skelly, the first pastor, established parish facilities. The religious education center has provided an innovative preschool program for children and parents and the Outreach meets human needs.

  • 1949—St. Martha, Uniondale, began as St. Catherine of Siena, a mission of Our Lady of Loretto, Hempstead. From 1915-1917, renamed St. Martha, it was the church of a Polish ethnic parish. When the pastor built St. Ladislaus in nearby Hempstead village, St. Martha became a mission of St. Ladislaus. St. Martha’s was established as an independent territorial parish in 1949 with the appointment of Rev. John J. Byrne as the resident pastor. The Sisters of St. Joseph staff the school, built in 1957. A new church was dedicated in June 1953.

  • 1950—Blessed Sacrament, Valley Stream, celebrated midnight Mass on Christmas 1950 in the Knights of Columbus clubhouse on Buscher Avenue. On October 10, Rev. Andrew J. McKeon, founding pastor, had received his appointment to serve Catholics in this fast-growing community. To provide sacramental preparation and religious instruction, three Sisters of St. Joseph cooperated with parishioners at a religious education center, 1954-1957. St. Joseph Sisters now administer the parochial school which opened in 1957.

  • 1950—St. Therese of Lisieux, Montauk, traces its origin to Mass at Camp Wyckoff during the Spanish-American War. Arrival of French Canadians increased the Catholic population for whom priests from St. Philomena Parish, East Hampton, offered Mass in Montauk Theatre. On August 31, 1930, a new church was used. Rev. Adam L. Weber became resident pastor in 1950. The Dominican Sisters of Amityville staffed the school in 1959. Since June 1956, the blessing of the fleet has been an annual ceremony.

  • 1951—Holy Family, Hicksville, was formed in 1951 to minister to the growing catholic population. Rev. Martin O’Dea, appointed pastor in 1951, was vigorous in establishing the church, rectory, school and convent. In 1960 the Dominican Sisters of Sparkill opened the parochial school. Responding to parish renewal, Father O’Dea established a parish council in 1968 with Rev. Mario Costa in charge.

  • 1951—St. Anthony of Padua, East Northport, was a mission of the Northport parish. Mass was offered on Sundays in a firehouse until 1949 when a small church was constructed. In 1951 St. Anthony’s became a canonically erected parish with Rev. Sylvester A. McGee as the pastor. In November 1966 a new church, accommodating over 1200 persons, was dedicated.

  • 1951—St. James, Seaford, began with the appointment in September of Rev. William A. Delaney as founding pastor. He converted buildings on a 3-acre farm into chapel, office and rectory. The first Mass was offered on October 12, 1951, and, four years later, a new church-auditorium was dedicated. Sisters of the Cross and Passion conduct the Religious Education program.

  • 1951—St. Vincent de Paul, Elmont, had briefly been a mission of St. Boniface Parish, Elmont. The first Mass was offered on December 8, 1950 at the American Legion Dugout on Hill Street. Rev. Charles J. O’Neill became the first resident pastor on July 3, 1951. Within ten years a church, rectory, school and convent were constructed. On September 11, 1961 St. Vincent de Paul School opened under the care of the Sisters of St. Joseph.

  • 1952—Sacred Heart, North Merrick, grew out of Cure of Ars parish. Rev. Jeremiah J. Reilly, its founder, acquired property and built its church. To provide instruction for the children, the Sisters of St. Joseph conducted a religious education center from 1954 to 1961 and staffed the parochial school which opened in 1961.

  • 1952—St. Edward the Confessor, Syosset, was founded by Rev. Edward J. Hanrahan to meet the great suburban growth of the 1950s. Sisters of Mercy of Brooklyn staffed the school which opened in 1961.

  • 1952—St. Frances de Chantal, Wantagh. In the early history of Wantagh priests from Bellmore or Amityville offered Mass in an old firehouse near the Wantagh railroad station. On January 1, 1952 Rev. Stanislaus A. Smulski arrived in Wantagh as the founding pastor. Three months later the construction of a church-auditorium began. Only five years later Rev. Smulski undertook the building of a school and convent. They were blessed May 12, 1957. The Sisters of St. Joseph staff the school. A new church was dedicated May 30, 1987.

  • 1952—St. Patrick, Smithtown, was first known as St. Michael. Priests who traveled from several distant parishes as early as 1841 ministered to the Catholics of the area until 1892. Thereafter, the faithful were attended by priests from St. Joseph Parish, Kings Park, 1902-1907, and SS Philip and James Parish, St. James, 1907-1952. Rev. Adam J. Willman was named resident pastor in 1952. The Sisters of St. Joseph have staffed the parochial school since 1966.

  • 1952—St. Rose of Lima, Massapequa, had Rev. Francis J. Burns as its first pastor. He was succeeded by Rev. Hugh Graham who built the rectory and church dedicated on March 20, 1965. The school, dedicated in 1960, is staffed by Amityville Dominicans.

  • 1953—Our Lady of Mercy, Hicksville, a former mission of St. Ignatius Loyola Parish, was formed in 1953 to provide for the growing population of the area. Rev. Louis J. Schwebius, the founding pastor, used property donated by the Froelich family for the parish facilities. On January 30, 1961 the Sisters of Mercy of Brooklyn assumed responsibility for the parochial school; they also administer programs in religious education, youth ministry and outreach.

  • 1953—St. Frances Cabrini, Coram, was attended from St. Margaret of Scotland Parish, Selden, for five years. Rev. Francis J. Kleinklaus was named pastor in 1953. This parish is a symbol of and response to the growing Catholic population in Suffolk County. In July, 1981, the parish broke ground for a parish center in which religious education and other programs are conducted.

  • 1955—Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Centereach. The founding pastor was Rev. Francis A. Fitzgerald who offered Mass in the VFW hall until the church was built. The ground breaking for the parish church was in 1957.

  • 1955—Maria Regina, Seaford, was founded by Rev. James F. Bradley to meet the needs of the growing Catholic community in Seaford in the 1950s. After celebrating Mass in a storefront for two years, the parish began worshiping in a “temporary” prefabricated building in 1957. A new church was dedicated September 18, 1983. A school, staffed by the Sisters of Mercy of Brooklyn, was opened in 1962.

  • 1955—Our Lady of Lourdes, Massapequa Park, began in October 1955 with the appointment of Rev. Francis P. McLoone as pastor. A barn on Carman Road was converted into a chapel for daily Mass. Through permission of the Massapequa School Board, public school auditoriums were used for Sunday Mass. Ground for new facilities was broken in 1961 and first Mass was offered in the Church-auditorium on September 2, 1962. The Dominican Sisters of Amityville opened the parochial school a week later. All buildings were dedicated on November 20, 1962. Since 1963 daily Mass has been offered in the school chapel. A new church was dedicated on May 5, 1985.

  • 1955—St. Joseph the Worker, East Patchogue, was served by Rev. John J. Robinson who rode from Bellport on horseback to offer Mass for some Italian Catholic families as early as 1900. A church was built just before World War I. The founding pastor, Rev. Jere J. Dineen, came in 1955. A growing parish necessitated construction of a new rectory and church in 1956. In the early days, the Sisters of Charity of Seton Hall High School helped the parish. Today it is served by Capuchin Franciscan priests and a Sister of Mercy conducts the religious education program.

  • 1955—St. Pius X, Plainview, was founded by Rev. James F. Coffey. A 1956 census reported 700 families with very young children. A school, dedicated in 1959, was staffed by the Sisters of Mercy of Brooklyn. The first Mass was offered in a barn in 1955. A church, originally St. Mel in Flushing, was dismantled and transported in sections to Plainview where it was dedicated October 28, 1956.

  • 1956—Our Lady of Lourdes, West Islip, was founded with Rev. William F. Toomey the first pastor. A church was built in 1959 and later enlarged. On May 4, 1966 this parish celebrated the dedication of four buildings: school, convent, rectory, and church extension. The Sisters of St. Joseph staffed the school which opened in 1965.

  • 1956—SS Cyril and Methodius, Deer Park. As early as 1927 Catholic Slavic people were moving into Deer Park. Between 1937 and 1956 they were part of Our Lady of the Miraculous Medal Parish, Wyandanch. Because of tremendous growth of population, Rev. James J. Behan, the first pastor, built a whole parish plant at once: church, school, rectory and convent. The parish school opened in September 1962 under the Sisters of St. Joseph.

  • 1959—Christ the King, Commack, was established on June 24, 1959 with Rev. Anthony F. Foley as pastor. The first Mass was offered in the Mayfair Theater on June 28, 1959. Sunday Mass continued to be offered in a meeting room in the basement of a new Saks building. The garage of the rectory was converted into a chapel for daily Mass. They broke ground for the church-auditorium, school, and convent on October 30, 1960. Christ the King had the distinction of being the first parish established by the new diocese of Rockville Centre.

  • 1959—St. Gertrude, Bayville, a summer colony for many Catholics and their Irish servants, became a Mission of St. Dominic Parish, Oyster Bay, in 1909. Rev. Thomas F. Connolly was appointed Pastor in 1959. The Mission Church, enlarged in stages, continues in use after renovations in the 1980s. A Parish Center erected in 1978 and a Preschool in 1994 provide parish programs.

  • 1962—Holy Name of Jesus, Woodbury, became an independent parish in 1962. The first Mass was offered on July 6, 1962 in the Syosset Theater by Rev. Charles A. Schlick, the founding pastor. For three years Mass was offered in the theater on Sundays. Bishop Kellenberg blessed a church-auditorium on June 26, 1965.

  • 1962—Our Lady of Grace, West Babylon, was one of five parishes established by Bishop Kellenberg on the fifth anniversary of the diocese. Rev. Thomas W. Bannon, appointed pastor in June 1962, died the following month. Rev. John E. Leonard, his successor, and parish volunteers cleaned a warehouse on Route 109 to serve as a church. The parish was large in size, and had numerous parishioners and volunteers. Building plans included a church-auditorium and a school. The latter, however, became a religious education center instead. The Sisters of St. Joseph came to the center and convent in 1968.

  • 1962—St. Elizabeth, Melville, resulted from a division of St. Hugh Parish, Huntington Station. Until the completion of a church in 1965, which was dedicated on May 6, a chapel, converted from a two-car garage, served as the spiritual center for nearly 3,000 families. Under Rev. Arthur J. Kane, the founding pastor, a religious education center, a convent, and a rectory were built. The religious education center has been staffed by the Sisters of St. Joseph.

  • 1962—St. Paul the Apostle, Brookville, under Rev. Daniel J. Potterton, founding pastor, comprised sections of parishes: St. Ignatius, Hicksville; St. Brigid, Westbury; and St. Edward the Confessor, Syosset. A group of men took the parish census a month after the priests arrived and the priests visited and blessed every home in the parish. Mass was offered in various places until in 1966 a church was constructed to accommodate one thousand persons.

  • 1962—St. Peter the Apostle, Islip Terrace. On June 27, Rev. Aloysius J. Dlag became the founder of a new parish in Islip Terrace, long known as North Great River. A large brick house on a corner lot became the rectory, and the renovated basement, a small chapel for daily Mass. The first Sunday Mass of the parish was celebrated August 5, 1962, in a tent. From December 1962 to October 1964, during the winter months, Mass was offered in a roller skating rink belonging to the Knights of Columbus. In 1964, a large all-purpose meeting center was ready for parish use. On March 3, 1965 the buildings of the new parish were blessed. The Sisters of St. Joseph opened a religious education center in 1968.

  • 1965—St. Luke, Brentwood. In June 1965 Rev. Thomas A. Judge was assigned to establish a new parish in a part of Brentwood taken from the extensive parish of St. Anne. On June 27, 1965, the first Mass was offered in the Brentwood Firehouse. The following week the pastor found a vacant warehouse, a former casket factory, which was transformed into a chapel/church for about 650 people.

  • 1965—St. Matthew, Dix Hills, founded under Rev. Leo J. Goggin, had its church dedicated in May 1968. A religious education office serves the catechetical needs of the parish.

  • 1966—Our Lady Queen of Martyrs, Centerport, began as a mission of St. Philip Neri, Northport. A large boat garage on the Brunswick estate was used first as a chapel and then, when the parish was canonically erected with Rev. James A. Green as founding pastor, as the parish church. Parish volunteers refurbished the building, which was extended in 1961. A new church was dedicated on September 23, 1984.

  • 1966—St. Francis of Assisi, Greenlawn, reflected the increase in Catholic population in western Suffolk County. Formed from parts of three neighboring parishes; St. Elizabeth, St. Anthony and St. Hugh of Lincoln, this parish welcomed Rev. Joseph F. Keyes as first pastor. The Long Island Railroad marks the boundary between this parish and its northern neighbor, Our Lady Queen of Martyrs, Centerport, formed at the same time. Mass was first offered in a building which had been a supermarket; a new church was dedicated June 13, 1971.

  • 1967—St. Thomas More, Hauppauge, was founded by Rev. Robert J. Kirwin. The parish first worshiped in a former factory. A unique multipurpose building housing a worship center that expanded into a larger area for Sunday Mass, a hall and individual rooms for religious instruction and meetings was dedicated in 1972. From 1972-l978, the Sisters of St. Joseph served on the parish staff and resided in the parish.

  • 1968—St. Gerard Majella, Terryville, was founded by Rev. Philip J. Reehil to serve the north-central portion of the North Shore. It was carved out of parts of three established parishes in Port Jefferson, Selden, and Setauket. A parish center was dedicated in 1974.

  • 1970—Good Shepherd, Holbrook, was founded by Rev. Ronald A. Barry. Its church, dedicated in 1971, was the first modular church building erected in the diocese. That church was gutted by a fire in 1981, and another fire destroyed the rectory. The parish celebrated Mass for a time in a factory renovated by parishioners. A new rectory was constructed and a new church dedicated on September 14, 1986. The Religious Education program, organized by the Sisters of St. Joseph, was a collaborative effort of the parishes of Medford, Selden, and Holbrook.

  • 1971—St. Louis de Montfort, Sound Beach, started as a mission church of the Infant Jesus Parish in Port Jefferson in 1948. The mission church was dedicated in 1953 and it was elevated to rank of parish in 1971 with Rev. John McGuire as first pastor. The Daughters of Wisdom organized a religious education program.

  • 1972—Campus Parish was organized as a non-territorial parish in 1972 by Bishop Walter Kellenberg with Rev. Robert S. Smith as administrator. This ministry engages lay persons, priests and women Religious in service to students, administrators, faculty, and staff at nine secular college campuses. Through Liturgy, presence, discussions, supper seminars and counseling, the unique Campus Parish serves the academic community of public and private colleges and universities.

  • 1973—St. Mark, Shoreham, was a former mission of St. John Baptist Parish, Wading River. Bishop John McGann, Vicar for Suffolk, met with parishioners who explained the need for a local parish. In September 1973 Rev. Raymond E. Tortora arrived as resident pastor. A church was dedicated December 12, 1976.

  • 1987—Our Lady of Hope, Carle Place, was formed of about 1,500 families who were separated from St. Brigid, Westbury. The founding pastor was Rev. Francis S. Midura, former diocesan Vice-Officialis. The parish had immediate use of a church which had served as the mission chapel.

  • 1988—Holy Cross, Nesconset, was established under a pastoral team of Rev. William G. Breslowski and Rev. Joseph M. Schlafer, one of three parishes formed in Suffolk at the same time. The first objective of the team was to build a community and then a church. The parish first worshiped at Cleary School for the Deaf in Ronkonkoma, and had acquired land for a church building by 1990.

  • 1988—Resurrection, Farmingville, was founded by Msgr. Emil A. Wcela. The three parishes formed in Suffolk in 1988 were formed of parts of several parishes, notably St. Joseph, Ronkonkoma, which had become very large. When Msgr. Wcela was ordained an auxiliary bishop at the end of 1988, he was succeeded by Rev. Thomas Mulvanerty. The Farmingville Firehouse and the Babylon Student Lounge in Suffolk Community College were the sites of the first weekend Masses for the Church of the Resurrection. The ground breaking for the parish church was July 8, 1990.

  • 1988—St. Elizabeth Ann Seton, Ronkonkoma, was founded by Rev. Patrick. J. Whitney. This was one of three new parishes carved out of St. Joseph, Ronkonkoma. The parish used the retreat chapel of the Cenacle Retreat House in Ronkonkoma for worship, renting office space for other purposes. The ground breaking for the parish church was on July 8, 1990.

  • 1996—SS Peter and Paul, Manorville, resumed canonical status as a parish on January 1, 1996. It had been a parish from 1912 to 1922 before becoming a mission of St. John Baptist Parish, Wading River. Father John McGratty, parochial vicar of the mission since 1991, was named pastor. He directed the reconstruction of a chapel moved to this site from St. James Parish, Seaford. The first Mass was offered on Christmas Day, 1995. Bishop John McGann dedicated the church on June 30, 1996. Whether the status was mission or parish, the parishioners of SS Peter and Paul, Manorville, enjoyed the full complement of liturgical celebrations and pastoral services. See the entry: 1922-St. John Baptist, Wading River.

  • 1999—St. John Chrysostom Malankara Mission, Hempstead [quasi-parish]. Catholics of the Syro-Malankara Church do not have a bishop in the United States. Therefore, pastoral care of these Catholics falls under the jurisdiction of the local Latin bishop. On November 13, 1999, Bishop McGann established the diocese's first quasi-parish, or mission, for Malankara Catholics. Father Saji George, a priest of the Archdiocese of Trivandrum, India, is the founding administrator.