On April 30, Most Reverend Richard Henning, auxiliary bishop, Diocese of Rockville Centre presided at the Institution of Reader and Acolyte at the Seminary of the Immaculate Conception, Huntington.
The ministries of lector and acolyte are entrusted to those who as candidates for Holy Orders, desire to devote themselves to God and to the Church in a unique way. Candidates in permanent diaconate formation receive the ministry of lector at the conclusion of their first year of candidacy and the ministry of acolyte at the conclusion of their second year of candidacy. Lectors are ministers of the word; acolytes are ministers of the altar. These ministries further draw the man into the life of service to God and to the Church as they journey through formation.
The following men were instituted as acolytes:
- Paul Cavanagh (St. Christopher, Baldwin)
- Michael Hoonhout (St. John the Evangelist, Center Moriches)
- Cary Klivan (Maria Regina, Seaford)
- Douglas Moran (Our Lady of Ostrabrama, Cutchogue)
- James Totino (Our Lady of Perpetual Help, Lindenhurst)
One was instituted as a lector/reader:
- Michael O’Brien (St. Hugh, Huntington Station)