The Scouting Office -- What Is It and Why
The Office of Youth Ministries, including the Catholic Scouting Office, was established by Bishop John McGann in September of 1983 as a result of a recommendation by the Diocesan Task Force on Youth Ministry in our diocese. Actually the Catholic Committees on Scouting date back to the establishment of the Diocese of Rockville Centre in 1957, and until 1983 were a part of the Catholic Youth Organization division of Catholic Charities.
Included in the responsibilities and duties of the Diocesan Catholic Committees are the following:
- promote and assist in spiritual development programs for Catholic Leaders
- Scouting as a viable youth ministry in parishes
- promote religious emblems and religious recognitions
- provide spiritual enrichment for Scouts through retreats, days of recollection and pilgrimages
- coordinate Diocesan Scouting events and activities
- make national Catholic Scouting services and materials available in the diocese and act as a liaison
- maintain up-dated documents and statistics and help stimulate the fulfillment of responsibilities of Catholic lay people in Boy Scouting and Girl Scouting programs.
Diocese of Rockville Centre Contacts
A Special Message from our Chaplain
Father Frank Zero, Diocesan Scouting Chaplain, has asked that Catholic Scouts, leaders and parents be reminded that attendance at Sunday Mass is a vital part of their faith life. Plans should be made to attend Sunday Mass during or after any camping trip or scouting activity. Participation in a scouting activity does NOT excuse a Scout, parent or leader from this obligation.
|Light of Christ
Tiger & Wolf Cub Scouts
Bear & Webelos Cub Scouts
|Ad Altare Dei
at least 6 months in Scouting
or Venture Crew and finish 6th grade
|Pope Piux XII
High School for older Boy
Scouts and Crew Members
|Light of Life
For Scouts of Eastern Rite
in lieu of Ad Altare Dei
[Click Here For The Catholic Committee on Scouting for the Diocese of Rockville Centre, Long Island]
Books for these Awards are available for purchase at the Catholic Scouting Office.