The Office of Vicars for Religious serves as the Bishop's representative to the religious communities serving in the Diocese of Rockville Centre. Religious Orders (Institutes of Consecrated Life ), Communities (Societies of Apostolic Life ),Secular Institutes, and Consecrated Virgins build up the spiritual life and ministry of the diocese through their presence, prayer, and service to the Diocese of Rockville Centre.
The Vicars for Religious are available to meet with individual religious and their superiors. The Vicars for Religious assist our religious in many areas be they housing, ministerial, or communal. They serve on committees established by the Bishop and facilitate meetings of the major superiors with the Bishop.
Franciscan Brother James McVeigh, O.S.F. and Congregation of the Infant Jesus Sister Patricia Moran, C.I.J. serve as the Co- Vicars for the diocese.
The Office of Vicars for Religious publishes a newsletter four times a year.
Events sponsored by the Office of the Vicars for Religious:
- Inter-diocesan Ongoing Formation Gathering at St. John's University
- Vespers and Founder's Day Awards for Religious
- Retreat for Senior Sisters
- Gathering of Religious Priests and Brothers
- Diocesan Celebration of Religious Jubilees
The Vicars for Religious network with the:
- Conference of Major Superiors of Men (CMSM)
- Conference of Major Superiors of Women Religious (CMSWR)
- Consultation Services for Religious Personnel (CSRP)
- Leadership Conference of Women Religious (LCWR)
- National Conference of Vicars for Religious (NCVR)
- National Religious Vocation Conference (NRVC)
- Religious Brothers Conference (RBC)
- Religious Formation Conference (RFC)
A PRAYER FOR OUR RELIGIOUS SISTERS, BROTHERS AND PRIESTS
Heavenly Father, in your wisdom you have called certain women and men to a life of special consecration so that in prayerful observance of a lifestyle of poverty, chaste celibacy and obedience, they might be witnesses to us that, as St. Paul says, "our true citizenship is in heaven." Give them, Lord, the grace of joy and perseverance in their holy vocation. We ask this through Christ, our Lord.